The Ballantine Family Fund is headquartered in Durango, CO, where Morley and Arthur Ballantine moved in 1952. After purchasing the weekly Durango News and the daily Durango Herald-Democrat, the couple immediately merged the two to create The Durango Herald-News and then The Durango Herald in 1960. Together, Morley and Arthur received a number of joint awards, including being honored in 1967 by the University of Colorado School of Journalism for Outstanding Journalism.
They established the Ballantine Family Fund in 1957 to award grants to any nonprofit they felt would enhance life in Southwest Colorado. Through their writing, activism, philanthropy, and dedication to the region, the Ballantines greatly advanced community issues in Southwest Colorado.
Education was particularly important to Arthur. The couple was instrumental in promoting Fort Lewis College from a rural, two-year college to the four-year institution it is today. They also helped establish the college’s Center of Southwest Studies, which draws scholars from all over the country to study the history of the region. Committed to women’s rights and issues, Morley was a founder of the Women’s Resource Center in Durango and the Women’s Foundation of Colorado.
In 60 years of activity, the Ballantine Family Fund has contributed to charitable and philanthropic purposes in the interest of enhancing the quality of life in Southwest Colorado.
Richard G. Ballantine, President
Elizabeth Ballantine, Vice President
Mary Jane Clark, Secretary
Helen Ballantine Healy, Treasurer
Grant Manager/Assistant Secretary
990-PF Tax Returns